Thursday, June 07, 2007

The Vision At The Old Church


Her services were planned in the old church
Where she grew us as a child
Relatives who once knew her were told
As well as the ones who cared

I walked in the front door before anyone
It was hours ahead of time
I wanted to gather my thoughts and my strength
Before others came drifting by

Reflections on my own childhood appeared
The day I tried to play the organ
Despite the fact that I knew just one song
And, “Moon River” just didn’t work

A cleared throat on the other side of church
Grabbed me back to reality
I looked over and saw someone stand up
And, she headed right toward me

“I’ve been told I look a lot like your Mom”
I tried to stand but I couldn’t
“We are second cousins and weren’t real close”
“But, I know she was a good soul”

I think I smiled and nodded my head at her
“You.. you…you do. You look a lot…”
She said she hoped she didn’t bother me
She wouldn’t be at the service

Then, she walked toward the back of the church
I watched every step that she took
A cousin or a vision or wishful thinking
She disappeared in the bright sun
@Copyright Scarlet Rhymes - Any and all poetry and pictures on these pages cannot be duplicated in any manner on the World Wide Web or any other published form without the written permission of the writer/creator at scarlet@rhymecreek.com

No comments: