Sunday, April 15, 2007

PENNIES ALL OVER THE FLOOR


The key fit the well-worn lock easily for me
As it had hundreds of times before
Passing the dust covered furniture and tables
I noticed pennies all over the floor

Ted Williams’ baseball was still sitting on the shelf
The sterling silver place settings were too
A tea service designed in beautiful pewter
Sat on a table as if it were new

Passing the closet full of memories and laughter
I noticed pennies all over the floor
The small door to the attic caught my attention
I don’t know if it was open before

A cooling drift of wind quickly passed by my ear
As I walked from room to room and cried
His suits were hanging in the closet as always
Her dresses and hats were there by his side

They found nothing of “worth” when they broke the window
And in anger threw pennies on the floor
Priceless love doesn’t get them much at the pawn shop
Invisible fools got what they paid for
@Copyright Scarlet's Rhymes - The above and all poems and pictures on this site cannot be reproduced on the World Wide Web or any other published form without the written permission of the writer/creator at scarlet@rhymecreek.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.

Scarlet said...

Thank you for your note, Rina!